Thursday, September 20, 2007

Week 4 Picks

The time has finally arrived for Apollo's Creed to make his long awaited first post. After listening to the constant whining streaming from the mouth of Thor's Hammer, I have decided to contribute my expertise to the discussion. If I have one complaint about the picks though, it is that I think we should pick the games with a spread involved. It would make it easier for one picker to dominate the others. When merely picking winners, we are going to end up with a lot of the same picks. Now that I have gotten that off my chest, it is on to the picks.

Texas A&M 20 Miami 24

This game could go either way. Many people will look at the score in the Miami-Oklahoma game and completely write off the Hurricanes for the season. However, Oklahoma is on an entirely different level than Texas A&M and the Canes had to travel to Norman to play the game. If this game was being played at a neutral site, this game would probably be a pick-em. Therefore, I will give Miami the slight advantage considering the game is being played in Miami. As bad as Miami's offense has looked early on this season, the Texas A&M defense hasn't proven they can stop anybody. The Aggie defense gave up over 400 yards to Montana State in their season opener, 399 yards to Fresno State, and 348 yards to Louisiana Monroe. I think the Miami defense will play well enough at home to slow down the A&M offense, maybe throwing in a defensive touchdown to help out what has been an anemic Miami offense.

Penn State 24 Michigan 31

Michigan obviously could not have started the season much more poorly than they did. After getting stunned at home by Appalacian State, they followed that with another bad loss at home to Oregon. After getting their first win under their belt versus ridiculously bad Notre Dame, they must take on a solid Penn State team in Ann Arbor. Penn State is undefeated, but those three wins have come against Florida International, Notre Dame, and Buffalo. I don't think anyone should get too excited just yet about Penn State. I realize that Michigan has already lost twice at home this year (both horrendous losses), but I can't bring myself to trust Penn St. QB Anthony Morelli. Therefore, I am taking Michigan at home with Morelli having a poor game.

Georgia 28 Alabama 21

I don't like having to pick this game, as I am an unabashed UGA homer. Although I think that Alabama would win this game more than half the time, I can't bring myself to pick against the Dawgs. That will be the extent of my analysis.

LSU 45 South Carolina 17

I can sum up this game in four words. "THE TIGERS ARE NASTY." USC coach Steve Spurrier seems to think that his team has turned the corner in terms of being very competitive in the S.E.C., but I have yet to be convinced even after watching them come into Athens, GA and defeat my beloved Dawgs. The Dawgs played very, very, poorly in that game, and I don't think it had that much to do with South Carolina. That was an example of a young team failing to take advantage of the opportunities that were presented to them. As long as LSU coach Les Miles doesn't screw it up, the Tigers should wipe the floor with the bloodied carcasses of the Cocks.

Wisconsin 20 Iowa 13

Although neither of these teams have been very impressive thus far this year, the Badgers will have the home field advantage and the knowledge that they haven't lost to an absurdly bad Iowa State team. I think this one will be closer than people think, but the Badgers will pull it out in the end.

Texas Tech 42 Oklahoma State 45

This one should be an offensive shootout, as neither defense should be able to stop the opposing offense. Oklahoma State will be returning home after being embarrased by Troy in Alabama, and should be able to keep pace with the high-powered Texas Tech offense. Texas Tech always has trouble with teams that can move the ball up and down the field, and who have dangerous skill players. I don't think Oklahoma State will be able to necessarily stop the Tech offense, but I feel like they'll score just enough to give Tech their first loss of the 2007 campaign.

California 35 Arizona 20

Two things jump out to me about this game. One is that California is a very good team. Two is that I don't like the Stoops family. Nate Longshore has been very good at the QB position for California since last year's debacle in Knoxville against Tennessee, and Cal RB Justin Forcett can be spectacular. The California offense will simply be too much for the Arizona defense to handle.

Arkansas 34 Kentucky 31

I have become a pseudo Kentucky fan living in the Bluegrass over the past year, but I can't bring myself to think that the Wildcat defense will be able to do anything to slow down the Arkansas running attack in Fayetteville. Kentucky will be able to put up points led by Senior QB Andre Woodson and RB Rafael Little, but it won't be enough to overcome the Wildcat's porous defense.

No comments: