Thursday, January 31, 2008

Why Don't I Care About The Super Bowl?

I have not been this apathetic towards a Super Bowl since the 2000 Ravens-Giants sleeper. It must be something with the Giants because I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why I don't care about this game. On paper you would think that a team going for 19-0, a feat I never thought possible, would be enticing to an NFL fan such as myself. But alas, it isn't so. I could care less about Brady's ankle, or Belichick's redemption or whether or not Eli's head will litterally explode during the rendition of the National Anthem (check that, I actually do have interest in seeing that...and I even like Eli).



What interests me more are the prop bets that I could have made had I lived in Las Vegas. My favorite has to be the odds of half time performer Tom Petty burning the hippie lettuce whilst on stage. If there is someone cool enough to do that and not get shot by NFL security it might just be Petty. I got five on it! Another one of the props that intrigues me is the number of times Joe Buck will reference Peyton Manning. Poor Eli. He gets into the Big Game and people still want to hear about Peyton. I would rather bet on how many times it takes Buck to mention Tiki Barber's name before it sends Tiki into a rage a la Grand Theft Auto. Now that would be great TV. Have Tiki on the sideline with an ear piece and show his face everytime Buck drops a line about how this team just rallied around Eli after Tiki left. I will set the over/under on 7 mentions before Tiki chokes Pam Oliver in front of 80,000 screaming (or is it thankful?) fans.



At least the Super Bowl has all of he peripheral items blended into the game itself (commercials, cool parties) that can lessen the inevitable blow of a rout. While I would love to see the Hoodie take one on the chin and get dumped by Gomer's little brother I just don't see it. Plexiglass has run his mouth too much and I expect the Pats to come out smoking (like Tom?) and take it to the Giants.



Pats 37 - Giants 23

No comments: